How do we make a perfect Facebook Ad Design grow your business? With the birth of smart-phones, social media has got closer to people. That too user-friendly social media platform like Facebook is prominent among all age groups. From students to CEOs to companies, it is the hub for communication. On average, there are around 3 billion daily active users on Facebook. According to a study, 96% of social media marketers consider Facebook an effective social media advertising platform. Be it a Fortune500 company or a start-up just blooming, advertising on Facebook is cost-effective and has got a good reach. Markets immediately begin to see results on Facebook when they have fixed a budget and goal. It acts as an effective medium to connect with a target audience interested in their products/services. Facebook Ads have also proven to be a massive success for B2C and B2B companies.
How does Facebook Ad work
The level of audience targeting, the number of users on the platform, and analytics and insights make Facebook Ads the most effective. These advantages, combined with great strategies and plans, are why Facebook ads have benefited many businesses. Whatever kind of advertising you do on Facebook, it takes iteration and also experimentation to see the success. Facebook Ads target the group of users who share similar characteristics and place your ad in these users’ News Feeds or in the right column.
Before investing in Facebook Ads, you first need to know who your target audiences’ are. When designing your new ad on Facebook, you have to create a new audience that includes some customizable characteristics. They are Location, Age, Sex, Languages spoken, Interests and behaviors, and their connection to your other business-related pages on Facebook. You can also create a Lookalike audience that lets Facebook generate an audience for you that resembles a particular source. This source can include some or all of the information told above.
After you are done customizing your ad’s audience, you will have to consider how this ad will look on Desktop and Laptop. This ensures you to design your ad accordingly for easy viewing no matter where it appears on Facebook.
Where does Facebook Ads show up
1. Right Column
This is the most traditional type of ad on Facebook that appears on the right side of the News Feed. This is the first type of ads Facebook has had and still has. Though it’s the ads on the News Feed that are likely to get higher metrics due to the native advertising features, the right column ads shouldn’t be forgotten. This type of ad sees less expensive clicks and conversions compared to others. To make your right column ad successful, it needs to be relevant, contains a value proposition, an attractive visual, and, most essentially, a call-to-action placed correctly.
2. Desktop News Feed
This ad appears directly on users’ News Feed when they access Facebook from their PC, and it looks more like native advertising. These types of ads have more value than the right column ones and are more expensive. These ads should follow Facebook posts best practices and should be both engaging and visually appealing.
3. Mobile News Feed
Similarly, like the Desktop News Feed ad, this type of ad appears on the user’s smart phone’s News Feed and displays like an organic post from people and pages they follow.
Types of Facebook Ads
1. Photo Ads
They are images that can help you promote a product or event you specifically want to call attention to. If you already have a special promotion going on, this ad type puts a snap of your product or venue at its center. All the photo Ads shown in the Facebook news feed is at least 1080×1080 image resolutions.
2. Video Ads
They contain a GIF or video as the centerpiece of the advertisement that can be used to demonstrate your product or event. This type of Ads helps you create a deeper connection with your audience by coinciding your brand with the kind of content the online users are consuming more ( According to a Facebook study, 80% of data consumed in mobile devices will be in video form by 2021).
Facebook provides six types of videos for you to invest in. These are Short videos and GIFs, Vertical videos, Instagram stories, Video carousels, Video collection, and In-stream videos.
3. Stories Ad
This is the newest type of Ad rolled out by Facebook that allows you to post contemporary clips and images for a day. This ad fits the dimensions of a mobile device and can be played on desktop and mobile devices. When the user takes a look at their friends’ stories, these types of Ads appear in the same format in the stream of stories. This is why it’s best to design story ads that reflect some candid look and feel that people see from their friends. These story Ads can be placed on Messenger, Facebook, and Instagram.
4. Messenger Ads
This appears as direct messages in users’ message lists when using the Messenger app. This kind of ads directly interacts with your audience, showing them offers which you think they would like, and listen to their responses so that you can design your next message according to their interests. An example of this ad is you might send the first message asking, “What product you might be interested in?” The user should have a list of responses to select from, which triggers you to send them specific product offers from the next set of messages.
5. Carousel Ads
They contain a series of images and videos which the users can rotate through, where all of them are helping to describe a single product, service, or event the Ad is promoting. Each ad of this type can contain up to ten images or videos at a time and a link to their web pages. Since these ads include so many media, they are ideal for endorsing multiple products, promoting multiple features of the same product, telling a story, or a sequence of events that unfold over the images or videos, and explaining a process to potential customers.
6. Slideshow Ads
Like Carousel ads, Slide show ads splits your images one after another for users to view. The difference between both types is that Slideshow ads only play images (not videos). This ad compiles these images in the form of video. This is ideal for creating a video like experience for users at a small budget, advertisers who want to choose from an existing library of images, and reaching people who have a slow internet connection.
7. Collection Ads
This kind of ad brings the buying process directly into Facebook, so if a potential customer likes a product, they can make a purchase now and then. This ad features a central image or video promoting the product, with a collection of four smaller images below where viewers can click to know more about the product. There are four types of collection ads:
- Instant Storefront: This ad is the best for displaying multiple products as part of the same ad and driving traffic to the product’s respective page.
- Instant lookbook: This is for demonstrating a process in various contexts for the audience.
- Instant customer acquisition: This is ideal for driving traffic and prompting the audience to take a specific action on a product’s page.
- Instant Storytelling: This is ideal for narrating the story about your brand or helping the audience know more about you and your business.
8. Playables Ad
They are ideal for app developers. This ad type allows your audience to view, preview, and even play a short version of your new app directly from the ad.
You can have a look at this Facebook Ad Examples to get more ideas
Facebook Ad Design Tips to Grow your Business
- While designing a Facebook Ad, it should be targeted to a specific audience. The quality of the audience is more important than quantity. Casting an extensive network of the audience who are not your target will tank your relevance scores and offer you bad data. The good news is that Facebook’s targeting capabilities are more accurate than any other platform, including demographics, interests, location, interest, and even behavior. This means you can get more specific on whom you want to see your ads.
- Relevance is a critical element when using Facebook Ads. Remember that you are spending money when someone views or clicks on your ad. If you are showing ads that are irrelevant to your target audience, you are just wasting your time and money and would likely not succeed with this kind of advertising. Facebook in 2015 has launched a feature that rates your ads based on relevance similar to the Ad rank in Google Ads. The more relevant your ad is to your audience, the higher the score is, and the more favorably Facebook will treat your advertisements.
- Visual content is the key not only in the Facebook algorithm, but also, it’s more likely to be remembered and shared among your audience. No matter what ad you are designing, it needs to be visually appealing.
- The visual content and copy should be closely aligned. For example, if you are designing an ad for astrological jewelry, your target audience should be people who have birthdays coming up. You could use generic terms like “buy a ring with your astrological sign” combined with an image/video of the jewelry. Another better strategy would be to be more specific about whose birthdays are coming up and create an ad targeting that star sign. (Eg. “All you Libras out there will fall in love with this” paired with an image or video of the product). Aligning the copy with visuals provides a feeling of personalization that increases the chances of engagement or conversion. You will see better ad performances and better relevance scores.
- Make sure it includes a captivating value proposition. A value proposition informs the readers why they should click on the “learn more” about your product or service. How is your product different from others? And why should the viewer click on your ad to see your website? The value proposition which you give should be believable. Saying that you have the best sandwiches in the world won’t interest people to visit your page. But offering a 20% discount will. Or, perhaps even adding social proof will help. Like saying, “Sandwiches loved by 10 million people every year! Come try yours at 20% off today with this coupon.”
- An appealing and relevant ad is great, but without a call to action, your viewers might not know what to do next. It is essential to include a CTA like “Buy now and save %” or something like “offer ends soon” and add a sense of urgency to your viewer. Your CTA should want people to click on your ad.
If you own a business and would like to promote it for better reach, a Facebook ad is the best option. With so many billion active users, you can set your target audience and get a better reach easily. That, too, with a wide range of Facebook Ad options, you can select the one which will suit your business and go along with it. It’s imperative to keep in mind the tips mentioned above to make your ad campaign a successful one. Facebook offers an ad-friendly environment with lots of options like ad relevance scores and analytics to make your ads get a better reach. So, Get the best Design work for your Facebook ad with these ideas.